Conagen Inc. is a leader in the area of bio-manufacturing. We engineer live organisms to produce molecules that are essential to our well-beings. Scientists and Engineers at Conagen use the latest synthetic biology tools to design metabolic pathways, improve production organisms, optimize production procedures, and ensure the quality as well as safety of the final products. We focus on bio-manufacturing of high value ingredients for food, nutrition, pharmaceutical and renewable material industries. Science and Innovation are the driving forces of our Mission.
We are seeking a Lab Manager to assist our scientists in a microbial synthetic biology lab. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, outgoing, self-motivated with the capability to work independently. This position is responsible for maintaining the daily functions of the laboratory which includes managing the lab support team, maintaining and ordering laboratory supplies, and facilitate the compliance with all required safety measures.
· Maintain, ordering, receiving, and distribution of lab supplies, lab consumables, and chemicals.
o Handle requests through the lab quartz system
o Handle direct purchasing with vendors
o Maintain common stocks of consumables
o Monitor the common chemicals as used by the lab support staff
· Participate in the Safety Committee
o Participate in Lab safety audits
o Maintain the chemical inventory list
· Assisting in purchasing and receiving new laboratory equipment; including cataloging and decommissions.
· Supervise the Lab Support team and their responsibilities
o Washing, sterilizing, and organizing glassware to satellite storage areas
o Maintain inventory and preparation of common laboratory reagents (liquid growth media, buffers, solutions, solid growth media)
o Preparation of specialized growth media, solutions, and buffers according to project needs.
o Assist with all phases of media preparation and sterilization to include autoclave loading and operation.
Education and Experience:
· Requires an Associate Degree in biological science or related science field with a minimum 0-2 years of relevant experience
· Experience with Aseptic Technique, manual pipetting and aliquoting
· Familiarity with laboratory calculations such as dimensional analysis, molarity, solutions, and dilutions.
· Knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and compliance.
· Familiar with uses of Personal Protective Equipment
· Experience with media preparation, microbiological materials, laboratory-scale autoclave, automatic plate pourers and dishwashers are highly preferred.
· Inventory Experience using Quartzy Lab Management Platform a plus
· Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
Physical and Mental Requirements:
· Ability to lift up to 55 pounds
· Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time
· Ability to multitask
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time