Company: Verb Biotics. We create pre-pro- and post-biotic ingredients for better human health.
Role: Director of Marketing (Full-time)
Location: Boston; Boulder / Denver CO
We launched Verb Biotics in 2021 to innovate the pre- pro- and post-biotic platform with intentionally designed biological ingredients for the supplement, food and beverage market. Our unique alliance with Boston-based Gingko Bioworks positions Verb to unlock a new generation of “I feel a difference” human health solutions. We are looking for a Director of Marketing to join our small but growing startup team and lead the development and implementation of Verb’s B2B marketing, branding, and public relations strategies.
Reporting directly to the Chief Commercial Officer, the Director of Marketing will lead the development and implementation of Verb’s marketing and PR objectives, goals, and strategy. The candidate must be a creative and strategic marketer with a proven record of developing and managing stellar brand positioning and marketing platforms. The DM will source and manage agencies and external resources to deliver marketing initiatives on time and in budget. The DM will be flexible with superior project management skills and bring high-energy to Verb’s small dynamic team. As Verb Biotics is a start-up company, the DM will wear many hats and is key in supporting the CCO to nurture a positive company culture and achieve commercial success.
Branding and Marketing:
● Develop, implement, and maintain a marketing and product branding plan
● Manage marketing team including agencies, freelancers, and potential staff
● Implement and manage HubSpot CRM and related marketing automation tools
● Create and maintain a database of marketing collateral and graphic assets
● Provide brand review for all marketing content
● Develop and manage marketing operating budget
● Develop and manage print and digital advertising
● Proactively communicate with team to set expectations and eliminate surprises
● Lead consumer research and identify key consumer insights to drive marketing/messaging strategy
● Develop and execute PR strategy and all associated content to establish Verb as credentialed leader in the “Biotic” industry
● Manage company websites and social media
● Source and manage PR agencies
● Continuously measure and review communication campaign ROI and adapt strategy to provide for the most effective use of resources
Sales and Marketing support:
● Support team with industry and customer specific marketing collateral
● Develop and implement lead generation strategies
● Coordinate and manage all aspects of industry shows, advertising/editorial and events including booth design, show contracts, logistics, marketing materials, etc.
● Manage and report on activities through CRM system
● Work diligently, effectively, and efficiently without drama or ego. We are a dynamic startup with shifting priorities and often quick turnarounds and tight deadlines. And have fun doing it!
Qualifications / Skills
Qualifications & Skills
● 10+ years of professional experience in B2B strategic development, product branding and marketing. Experience in developing and executing PR strategies
● Prior business operations experience in a complex environment
● Strong project management skills - highly organized, comfortable, and effective in holding others accountable
● Proven track record of managing multiple complex projects concurrently in a cross- functional environment
● Highly developed communications skills and interpersonal savvy (high EQ)
● Experience working with and administrating HubSpot (or SalesForce.com) and associated marketing automation tools
● Knowledge/experience in the food/supplement industry (or health and wellness)
● Willingness to work hard and take direction
● Creative problem solving
● Strong personal code of ethics, integrity, and trust
● Results- and action-oriented
● Appetite for big thinking with a great ability around simplification
● Sense of humor
● Enjoy working independently but also in a highly collaborative environment
“Nice to Have”
● Experience in a startup setting
● Experience working in R&D intensive environments
● Knowledge of branded ingredients, biotechnology, nutrition, or related science
Verb Biotics Core Values
● We develop and market efficacious ingredients that have a positive impact on people’s lives
● We are smart and resourceful to achieve collective goals
● We have genuine and respectful relationships
● We have fun and take pride in our work
It is the policy of Verb Biotics to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
About Ginkgo Bioworks –
Ginkgo (www.ginkgobioworks.com) is a high-growth biotech company that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, material, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering. In coordination with the $350M Ferment Consortium, Ginkgo concepts and spins out new ventures built on the Ginkgo synthetic biology platform and has most recently launched a new company to disrupt the field of probiotics and functional nutrition, Verb Biotics.