Conagen is a leader in the area of bio-manufacturing. We engineer live organisms to produce molecules that are essential to our well-being. Scientists and Engineers at Conagen use the latest synthetic biology tools to design metabolic pathways, improve production organisms, optimize production procedures, and ensure the quality as well as safety of the final products. We focus on bio-production of high value ingredients for food, nutrition, pharmaceutical, and renewable material industries. Science and Innovation are the driving forces of our Mission.
We are seeking a Lab Support Specialist to assist our Lab Manager and scientists in a microbial synthetic biology lab. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, outgoing, self-motivated with the capability to work independently. This position requires participation in media preparation, sterilization of supplies, inventory, housekeeping and glassware maintenance for a company of approximately 60 scientists.
· Preparation of specialized media, Agar-plates, solutions and buffers according to project needs as directed by Scientists
· Work with Automation team to meat demands of high through-put strain engineering projects
· Maintain inventory and preparation of common laboratory reagents (liquid growth media, buffers, solutions, solid growth media)
· Monitor consumable materials inventory and assist in purchasing, receiving and stocking of supplies.
· Washing, sterilizing, and organizing glassware to satellite storage areas
Education and Experience:
· Education in biological science or related science field or relevant experience in lab envionment
· Experience with Aseptic Technique
· Familiarity with laboratory calculations such as dimensional analysis, molarity, solutions and dilutions.
· Knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and compliance.
· Familiar with uses of Personal Protective Equipment
· Experience with media preparation, microbiological materials, laboratory-scale autoclave, automatic plate pourers and dishwashers are highly preferred.
· Experience in documentation in a lab notebook format
· Experience with manual pipetting and aliquoting
· Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
Physical and Mental Requirements:
· Ability to lift up to 55 pounds
· Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time
· Ability to multitask
· Can adapt to fast paced environment
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.